3rd Annual Down to the Wire: 24 Hour Film Race
For the third consecutive year, Tallgrass Filmmakers Lab and CreativeRush unite for DOWN TO THE WIRE: A 24 Hour Film Race, presented by Blacktop Nationals. In 2013, 37 teams raced and more than 700 people showed up to support Wichita’s filmmaking community at the Top 10 Film Showcase on Sunday night. New this year is a $500 cash prize for the Best Emerging Student Film – eligible teams will be comprised of elementary, middle and high school students.
The race takes place from June 20-22 and participants can enter on their own as a team of one or with up to fifteen people. Teams have 24 hours to write, produce, shoot and edit a short film that is six minutes or less. All films are required to include four elements that are randomly selected at the beginning of the race.
This year’s race will allow teams to shoot their films during the daylight hours as the race time changes from 7:00 am on Saturday to 7:00 am on Sunday. (See below for full schedule.) A mandatory Director’s meeting will also be added to the lineup on Saturday morning.
A curated team of Tallgrass Film Festival programmers and CreativeRush advisors will screen each film and select the top ten, which will then be showcased at the Orpheum Theatre at 7:00 pm on Sunday, June 22nd. The showcase is open to the public (GA tickets: $10). A VIP Panel of judges (including media personality Anita Cochran and Mindfire Academy’s Jason Opat) will live critique each film and the winners will receive prizes as listed below. The evening is hosted by Sarah Kallail.
The winning team as selected by the judges will receive a $1,000 filmmaking grant from Vimeo, 15-day’s worth of studio time at Mindfire Academy (including use of cameras, green screen, iMac work stations with Adobe Master Collection and Audio Suite with Pro-Tools) valued at $15,000, a Gala Screening at the 2014 Tallgrass Film Festival and more (see below for details.)
DTTW is presented by Blacktop Nationals, with additional sponsorship from Vimeo, Mindfire Academy, the Wichita Orpheum Theatre, LipShtick Productions and KMUW.
For a full description of rules and regulations visit DTTWFilmRace.com.
REGISTER ONLINE NOW:
- $125 per team
- $80 for student teams (half of registered team members must be students with valid ID)
- $80 for teams with at least one current TFA member (with valid ID.)
- 6:30 pm Friday: Producer’s Meeting (Mindfire Academy, 4031 E. Harry)
- 6:30 am Saturday: Director’s Meeting (Mindfire Academy, 4031 E. Harry)
- 7:00 am Saturday: DTTW Film Race Begins
- 6:00 - 7:00 am Sunday: Film Drop Off (TFA office, 212 N. Market)
- 7:00 pm Sunday: DTTW Top 10 Showcase (Orpheum)
- Grand Prize: $1,000 Filmmaking Grant from Vimeo, Gala screening at the 12th annual Tallgrass Film Festival, Personalized Filmmaker Passes for up to 8 registered team members ($195 value/pass), 15-day’s worth of studio time at Mindfire Academy (including use of cameras, green screen, iMac work stations with Adobe Master Collection and Audio Suite with Pro-Tools) valued at $15,000
- Audience Award: Weekend at the 12th annual Tallgrass Film Festival includes up to 6 personalized Filmmaker Passes for registered team members ($195 value/pass), and 2 nights at the Hotel at Waterwalk, the official hotel of the Tallgrass Film Festival
- 2nd Place: Complimentary Gala tickets for up to 10 team members to the Opening Night Gala Film & Party at the 12th annual Tallgrass Film Festival on October 16th.
- 3rd Place: Complimentary Gala tickets for up to 10 team members to the Closing Night Gala Film & Party at the 12th annual Tallgrass Film Festival for all registered team members (good for any GA screening)
- Student Film: $250 plus Student TALLPass ($80 value) for up to 4 registered team members for the 11th annual Tallgrass Film Festival
- Emerging Student Filmmakers: $500 cash prize sponsored by LipSchtick Productions *Teams eligible for the Emerging Student Filmmakers must be comprised of elementary, middle or high school students.
Prizes offered by Tallgrass Film Association and MIndfire Academy will be handled directly by each organization.
All films completed may be submitted for consideration into 12th annual Tallgrass Film Festival no later than September 1 with no entry fee.
FILMMAKER'S TOOLKIT WORKSHOPS
- Thursday, May 1st, 7:00 – 8:30 pm (The Labor Party): As part of IndieConnect, CreativeRush will feature Ed Baker who is an Associate Professor in WSU's Performing Arts Department as well as a freelance technical director carpenter for various off-broadway and theaters around the world. In this workshop, he will discuss storytelling and working with actors.
- Friday May 2nd at 6:30pm: (Mindfire Academy) will feature advisors Kevin Keplar (Audio,) Dave Roberts (Editing & Sequencing,) & Wynn Ponder (Cinematography.)